Walker unpacks use of negative terms related to disability
“It’s such a bad stigma that comes along with those terms. It’s such a bad outlook because it makes you feel it makes you feel – I know me personally it makes me feel less than what I am.”
Alabama Care anchor Zarius Walker talks viewers through limiting beliefs – both from oneself and one’s community – and the words that can transpire from those beliefs.
- Origin of the word ‘handicapped’
- The difficulty of educating someone
- Importance of teachable moments
- Do not get discouraged
- Derogatory terms are used by any age group
- We don’t want to be reminded by being called a derogatory term
- Personal hope for the word “handicapped”
- Building up self-esteem
- Importance of doing research
Alabama Care is partially supported by the Alabama Council on Developmental Disabilities (http://www.acdd.org/). The views expressed are not necessarily the views of these organizations.