Program helps benefits recipients understand the pros and cons of employment
“We help the individual understand their benefits and do the individualized counseling and how earnings will affect the specific benefits that the individual receives. And we don’t just only go over the Social Security disability benefits that they’re receiving – but if you receive any kind of housing assistance or food stamps, veterans benefits and things like that, we can also help you understand the effects of earnings on your benefits.”
Mary Jane Dasher and Meghann Miller with the Alabama Department of Mental Health (ADMH) sit down with AC lead anchor Alex Bimes to discuss ADMH’s Work Incentives Planning and Assistance (WIPA) Program and the impact that employment can have on Social Security and other benefits of individuals with disabilities.
- What are social security work incentives?
- What are some of the biggest fears?
- What are the limits of the program?
- How do I navigate working at a company that already provides healthcare?
- What examples of jobs do you have that people have worked for?
- Who is on your team?
- Is there any cost to the consumer?
Resources mentioned in the broadcast:
Alabama Care is partially supported by the Alabama Council on Developmental Disabilities (http://www.acdd.org/). The views expressed are not necessarily the views of these organizations.